Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas

29 years of Christmas. Every Christmas spent is a different experience for me. I remember when I was young, Christmas was a magical period. Partly because it was school holiday and I get to watch alot of movies along the way. XD As I grew older, Christmas became more of a holiday to me. So what is it about Christmas that I want to pen down here?

Christmas is a time when people would buy gifts and give it to the people they loved. I definately loved those times when I get a present or more: unwrapping it, scanning the gift and then using it to the fullest. Cherishing it until the next Christmas or till I get bored of it. XP The atmosphere itself was beautiful, especially when I was young, I always get the magical feel in it. It was as if something wonderful was about to happen.

As I grew up, I became more cynical and Christmas was no more than some holiday for me to slack and play. I did not have that magical feel: possibly my heart was closed towards it? I enjoyed nothing of it as I was growing up in an environment no one could share with me the joys of celebrating Christmas. I sort of grew cold towards it.

It was only when I got into contact with the Clementi gang in my late teens (Ah Mun, Denan, Jun Wei, Wei Yao and me) that I once again got back into the magical mood whenever Christmas was near. We would meet together and celebrate Christmas, mostly staying over in Wei Yao's place. Exchanging gifts and having fun, it was good times with friends I cherished.

Then when I became a christian, Christmas holds a new meaning to me. The greatest gift ever presented to me and everyone else: Jesus Christ, from God himself! When you realised that all you have known, all that you stood for, all that you believed, based on human or worldly standards, do not tally with what is right in your heart and you know it deep inside, you know that there is no real human standards to follow because all standards that human made can be misused and misinterpreted. God's standard is the only absolute: this means this, that means that. No hidden message inbetween to second guess.

Have you ever wondered why many people look forward to Christmas? Have you ever thought it would be nice if someone gave you a gift without you having to return the favour? Have you ever wished something miraculous would happen? It all happened, and his name is Christ. Thus Christmas. This magical feeling is not there for nothing, you realised that?

Sometimes I wonder will I be able to enjoy this magical feeling again considering I am no longer a child. I believe so: every child in us wants this and this will be made possible if we allow the child in us to express the childlike joy and anticipation of Christmas. I know many people would rather keep the inner child in them because they think they should be full adults in this sense, aka cynical. That is where I think they are not happy many times, because they think it is childish and people will look at them in a different light. Oh yes, people WILL look in a different light: a light that can tell the joy in life and one they will ask "Why can't I have it?".

As long as you go with the "flow" that says "we are too old for Christmas" or "I am an adult. I have no need to celebrate it in this manner", you will never get to enjoy Christmas for what it is: a joy and a gift. For once, break free from the common worldly saying and embrace the inner child in you. Give the inner child a chance to express joy and gladness during Christmas. That is one of the first step to embracing who you really are and where to seek true joy and peace.

Ok... I have difficulty uploading a video here. So might as well post the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuG1XSihf0I

The song is titled "We are the reason" by Avalon. It is a song aptly chosen to tell us the greatest gift given to us during the first Christmas in human history. Enjoy. ^___^

No comments: